CETUS2 UPS3 3.2.5 Update
Still working with CETUS2. Loaded the UP Studio3 (UPS3) update (3.2.5) a couple of weeks ago. The big changes were obvious such as the addition of the “Paint” function for adding color to mono .STL files.
What is not obvious are any changes in background system operations (code changes) with existing variables and operational algorithms.
I won’t give specifics as I have received no official information or confirmation on what has been changed (improved).
As you need to know, my CETUS2 is a prototype and not the same firmware or hardware as the pending production unit. Main reason I won’t give specifics.
With the new release of UPS3 The method of assigning “Entity ID” has substantially changed. It’s a method of assigning specific printing tasks to specific nozzles. A very handy features but it’s inter-reaction between the three available extruders is not an absolute.
Many variables in UPS3 are not absolute. I still haven’t found a way to get descent support separation from undersurface supports. There is a variable called “Support Peel / Bond Strength” that should do the job but has absolutely NO EFFECT on undersurface support bonds. The bonds are always 100% solid in my experience.
With the new version 3.2.5 of UPS3 I began to experience under extrusion from Nozzle2 (the left side). I thought it was partially plugged. Now, that doesn’t seem to be the case.
Jason in CETUS2 support told me when I first received my CETUS2 to set the extruder flow for EX#3 to 0.5 to produce a 50/50 mix using that extruder. With extruder #3 NOT SELECTED, it still influenced the flow in EX#2 with the new UPS3 3.2.5! I set flow back to 1 when not needing/using EX3 and flow from EX2 came back to near normal. Something changed between the UPS3 versions.
I have just made a test to see if setting flow to 0.5 in EX3 is still necessary for 50/50 prints. Just completed excellent blended 50/50 vase prints with flow for EX3 set at 1. (see lead picture) The coaster is also a new 3.2.5 print. However, there seems to be a possible significant nozzle temperature calibration error that could be contributing to this reduced extrusion flow. Some 2 color prints look as if the actual filament temperture may be operating significantly lower than indicated set point. Futher investigation is required.
Measurement with a calibrated thermocouple temperature meter show nozzle temps 20C lower than indicated by software. adjusting set points for this difference has returned Cetus2 back to normal prints and again requiring the 0.5 flow setting for nozzle #3. My Cetus2 firmware is pre-release and there may some regulation issues. I can work with that.
No idea if this flow adjustment will be the S.O.P. but it works for me at the present time. I don’t expect any hard “how-to” instructions until the release version of CETUS2 hits. Jayson is the official source for that.
I have written a CETUS2 config file for Simplify3D (S3D). My Simplify3d sees the CETUS2 as a USB modem on the USB line but can’t connect. GCODE files must be saved and loaded to CETUS2 using UPS3. Just like the original Cetus.
After loading the file to print, I see bed temp and nozzle temps come to set point and the print head travels to the correct start and begins the print.
The skirt outline prints and the base outline prints fine. The base infill begins (and looks proper) but then the CETUS2 just stops everything and freezes. It's like the only data saved was in the USB receive buffer. No file storage.
Stop print from the control panel works and I can move the head back to home.
The system is acting like it hasn’t stored the complete gcode file in the machine or the uSD card. It just crashes about 100+ lines into the gcode,
Looking at my created GCODE I see no reason. The initial start codes must be correct as the run code to where it quits is is all basic X. Y, Z, E position commands.
Could be my CETUS2 hardware/firmware is not yet coded for for storing large “.gcode” files. Just the UPS3 “.tsg” version. But it does start and run fine for a few hundred lines, and lays down some plastic on the build plate.
I can see where we will loose all of the special functions from the UPS3 slicer. But that’s the price for using generic gcode. I will still love to experiment with S3D and expect I will be able to produce some very tightly controlled dual filament prints.
I will have to wait and see how the release version of CETUS2 will handled S3D .gcode files. I think I have a good start with my current S3D CETUS2 configuration file. Will have to see if Tiertime or Simplify will produced and “official” config file.